Sun's Over the Yardarm

The Adventures of Princess P and Vitamin T

6.23.2006

The Maiden Voyage

The sun is over the yardarm has always been one of my dad's favorite phrases and since I've developed a great love for Happy Hour it has occupied a special place in my pantheon of favorite lines too...though no one ever understands it. Thus, for the record:


SUN IS OVER THE YARDARM - "(time for happy hour to begin). This expression is thought to have its origins in an officers' custom aboard ships sailing in the north Atlantic. In those latitudes, the sun would rise above the upper yards - the horizontal spars mounted on the masts, from which squaresails were hung - around 11 a.m. Since this coincided with the forenoon 'stand easy,' officers would take advantage of the break to go below for their first tot of spirits for the day. The expression washed ashore where the sun appears over the figurative yardarm a bit later in the day, generally after 5 p.m., and the end of the workday."


June has been an interesting month. It was my 31st birthday on the 14th and those directly involved, I'm sure, are happy that I was not blogging at that time. It wasn't the best day - HOWEVER - the week leading up to was (to use a Joe Meyer word) lovely.

On June 4, to backtrack to a happier day, our intrepid crew roadtripped to the Crawfish Fest.

This is the crew (me, Joe, Maurice and Capt. Jerry) minus Jake who is taking the picture. It was a terrific day all around. We ate, drank, listened to awesome bands including LITTLE FEAT and most of all laughed our asses off. It was such a good day that we couldn't stop talking about it for damn near 2 weeks.



In this next pic it may appear that I've fallen over but I SWEAR I haven't...eet wuz jes' a few beeeers Ma! I just couldn't resist including Jake in his festival outfit!


If I can get the pics of him doing his Little Feat dance scanned in they WILL make an appearance here! We actually have a ton of great pics from that day thanks to Jake.




Anyway, this was a long sucker. Gotta catch up ya know! Today I'm off to get a haircut which always terrifies me. I'll let y'all know if I look like a poodle when I get back - I'm sure there should be a Princess of Patron rating system for how bad a thing is - one, two, or three shots.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home